List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOP without X server
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-11-30 13:21:34

On Fri 30. November 2001 13:54, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2001 13:23, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > Is there a way to use DCOP in a program, which doesn't have a connection
> > to a X server? This would be intereting for daemon-like programs.
>
> Here I go again: DCOP is based on libICE. libICE does NOT requires Xlib or
> a running X server. It is designed to work without the X Window System
> (although it happens to live in the same software archive).
>
> > I'm also asking, because the KUniqueApplication constructor has this
> > GUIEnabled flag. Where is the point in creating a KUniqueApplciation
> > without GUI, when the X server connection is required by the DCOP stuff
> > anyway?
>
> Because it is not required.
>
> Where do you guys always get the idea from that dcop has anything to do
> with Xlib or a XServer?

 Probably because both 'dcopserver' and 'dcop' exit with "Aborting. $DISPLAY
is not set." . kdelibs/dcop/dcopclient.cpp: dcopServerFile() is the place.
Display is part of filename in ~/.DCOPserver* for some reason (I don't quite
get it ... how can one user run two dcopservers at the same time?).

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org