List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SQL client in KDE distribution?
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! se>
Date:       2001-11-30 12:39:24

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>hi..
>
>while i understand peole's desire to see this in KDE (i would use TOra on a
>daily basis if it had pgsql support) there are probably a few things to be
>considered:
>
> o it isn't a KDE app, it is Qt only (KDE-ifying it would be great)

It is partly a KDE app. It doesn't use some of the nifty XML/KPart
stuff. It is however a KMainApplication and it uses KPrint, KToolBar,
KMenuBar and KDE file dialogs if KDE is detected at compilation. You can
compile it as a Qt only application, this is mainly because I wanted it
to be multiplatform and support for Windows is important for a lot of my
users although Linux is the main development platform.

>o 100k LOC is not small (kpresenter is around, what, 20k LOC? kword ~22k?)

Absolutely agree with you here. It is by far the biggest open source
project I've made.

> o the audience interested in such an app is probably a small % of KDE's
>total audience (as opposed to word processing, presentation software, etc)

Perhaps. I'm kind of missing a kde-develop package in this respect. The
kdevelop package is only for that application as far as I can tell.

>IMO, due to this combination of facts TOra would be best maintained outside
>of KDE's CVS just as many other high-quality, large, niche-audience apps are.
>
>hightening its profile by making it a KDE / KOffice app and having it noted
>on the koffice.org website, apps.kde.com, etc might be a better approach?
>
>$0.02 (canadian pennies at that...)

I'll bring up this topic again when it is more current (After
development for 3.1 has started) and see what the consensus is. Just
wanted to test the waters.

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB