List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: About naming of apps in .desktop files
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-27 19:15:28

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:31:52 +0100, aleXXX wrote:

>> Sorry, I'm a bit thick today. What does this mean for the more problematic
>> cases like kcontrol (-> KDE Control Center -> KDE-Kontrollzentrum)?
>
>I'd say app name "KControl", descr: "The KDE Control Center".
>Same for "Kicker", "The Panel to start things"
>and "KHelpCenter", "The KDE Help Center"

Hmm, to me this still sounds like forcing developer slang on users. As
if you had something like "wpwin.exe" (or WPwin) in the Windows start
menu and only a tooltip is telling users that this means "Corel
WordPerfect for Windows".

For normal apps the scheme is fine. But no user should have to solve
riddles when looking for basic system functionality. I think it should
be something like app name: "Control Center", descr: "The central
location to configure KDE".

Regards,

Thomas

---