List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: About naming of apps in .desktop files
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-26 20:39:29

On Monday 26 November 2001 02:12 am, Mariusz Pekala wrote:
> For previous posts in this thread: different users have different
> preferences with the order - konqueror (Web browser) OR Web browser
> (konqueror) OR konqueror OR Web browser.
> So, introduce a format string that the user will be able to choose the way
> he likes to see the names:
> let the "%n (%d)" stand for "file-name (Descriptive description)"
>
> About translations:
> For example, I don't like too much translations from English to Polish -
> the Polish language produces long sentences (other languages produce even
> longer, as seen in a lot of .desktop files) and I have small monitor :-)
> Others may like translations, so give them another options for this
> format-string:
> %n - application file name
> %N - translated application file name
> 	(I realy don't believe in it's usability, but...)
> %c - comment = descriptive description
> %C - translated comment
> ...and set a reasonable default.
> Most users will probably like this one: "%C (%n)"

Sounds like a very good plan. It should be noted that it is rather difficult
to get to the "untranslated names" at the moment. So taking kmail as an
example I suggest the following standard for desktop files:

	Name=KMail
This is the Captioned application name, this name should normally not be
translated.
        Comment=Mail Client

It should be easy to add support to minicli so that typing "KMail" will start
kmail: KService::findServiceByName searches on translated name.

The name of the desktop file should preferrably be lower case and match the
name of the executable: e.g. 'kmail.desktop' instead of 'KMail.desktop'

Cheers,
Waldo