List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: About naming of apps in .desktop files
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-25 19:20:59

On Sunday 25 November 2001 18:21, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> I'm not talking about stuff like this. But "KControl" or "KHelpcenter"
> are really no entries I want to see in a German K-Menu. These are
> totally descriptive names for system functions (oe abbreviations of
> such names) which should be understandable on first sight in every
> language. They also show up translated when the apps are started.
> Similar case with Kicker and a few others. And the name of
> "KBattleship" in German is "Schiffe versenken", nothing else. Same with
> "Offiziersskat" and others. (Believe me: I even got bug reports before
> I named them this way.)

And I occasionally get bug reports for the wizard that people can't find
their apps in the list since the list (bugs/Maintainers.xml in CVS) is
English and only mentions the app's name and an optional description. So
leaving out both of them will make it impossible for people using translated
KDE to find the app in the wizard...

Of course help->report bug still works, but not everyone uses that option.

From a user's perspective I agree with Thomas that showing 'KHelpCenter'
litterally might be a bad idea. But there are cases where you would be
grateful if the user does know the real name of the application. And if you
now ask me how to solve this conflicting situation I fear I don't have a
proper answer either...

Oh, and another reason to mention the 'real' name: a user might want to start
an app from the run dialog or the command line, in which case it would be
handy to know the name of the executable :-)

Martijn