List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: About naming of apps in .desktop files
From:       Christoph Cullmann <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-11-25 15:17:55

Am Sunday 25 November 2001 14:56 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> On Sunday 25 November 2001 14:05, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:51:58PM +0100, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > > Will somebody kill me if I try to rename the stuff in the desktop
> > > files to that scheme ? Will be extra work for the i18n people (like
> > > you ;), but I think it should be done before beta 1
> >
> > I think the best idea ever suggested was to use an extra entry in
> > .desktop files to describe the program type.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to do it the other way around and add an entry
> for the "literal name" of the app. Most desktop files seem to already
> have some kind of program type in the name entry. Then we could
> preserve the translations and just add the additional field.
That won't work, because some apps have allready there name in the translation
included, some not, you would end up with stuff like Kate - jjsdfldl (kate)
or Kate - Kate -sdfjdjkl or something like that.

I would propose the this solution:
The "Comment" field contains the description like Media Player
The "Name" field shouldn't be translated and is added in front of the (Comment
field)
 -> you will get stuff like Noatun  (Media Player)

cu
Christoph