List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Passive message popup class
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-11-23 12:37:28

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:33:08AM +0000, Richard Moore wrote:
> As part of my plan to improve the way KDE apps interact with the task
> manager, I've just finished a passive popup class that lets you display a
> message next to the taskbar icon. The popup does not interupt the user (hence
> the name 'passive'). The implementation uses the standard icon geometry
> properties from the WM specs, so it should work with any WM and taskbar.
>
> I've attached, the code, a demo app, the docs and a small piccy. I'd like to
> see this (and hopefully some other related tools) in the 3.0 api. Any
> comments?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rich.

I think it really has potential; it looks quite nice ;)
It still has a lot of work to be done and one of them is that multiple
windows can gather on top of each other making it hard to read some (they
dissapear too fast)

I will not comment on KDE3 possebilities, but I would sure like to see a
whole lot of functionality brought to the user this way!

Then again; if only someone can make the kasbar not take space away from
maximized windows this would actually be useful since now I rarely have
kasbar open, its iconified most of the time here..

ps. it only compiled after adding #include <qpixmap.h>