List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: kio_mount
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-20 2:35:14

On Fri 16 Nov 01 13:20, Rob Kaper wrote:
> The more I use KIO, the more I think it does not belong in KDE. It should
> be available in a much broader context. It should live on top of the
> kernel, as system service.

Yes :-)

> It's a bit unlikely that will ever happen, but a nice compromise would be
> to have the ability to mount KIO slaves. This would give every application
> on the system access to any content behind KIO slaves. For example, you
> could forego NFS alltogether and kio_mount a SFTP account.
>
> Martijn Klingens informed me about the following page
>
> http://lwn.net/2001/1115/a/fuse.php3
>
> which is about user-space mounting. Requires kernel 2.4 to compile, but
> doesn't require a kernel recompilication to work.
>
> Should I contact the author and propose cooperation to somehow make FUSE
> and KIO work together and create a kio_mount program which could be
> optionally compiled (kdeaddons or something) in case FUSE is found on a
> system?
>
> It wouldn't be as nice as KURL/KIO support in glibc/kernel (cp
> audiocd:/Ogg\ Vorbis/*.ogg sftp://user@host/home/user/), but I can
> definitely see some very valuable uses for kio_mount.
>
> Ideas? Flames? Praise?
>
> Rob

Sounds good, but I don't know much about it.

Do you remember the mail from Charles "Announce: KIO-Sync 0.1.0" ?
Via preloading a small lib it enables potentially (i.e. if everything is
implemented and bugfree) all usual apps to eat urls like
/kio/smb://alex2_pc/public for all libc functions which take simple paths :-)
Until now I didn't have time ti dig further into it, but it seems to be also
very promising.

Bye
Alex