List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Heads up: new KAccel classes
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-11-17 16:19:11

On Saturday 17 November 2001 15:29, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> A possibly stupid question, but why does KAccel no more inherit from
> QAccel, and why does it aggregate KAccelBase instead of inheriting
> from it?

1) to lighten up the includes.
2) to reduce re-compilation requirements.

kaccelbase.h is 'heavy', and I'll still be modifying it a lot before 3.0 is
released.  If KAccel inherited from KAccelBase, then everything which
includes kaccel.h (a _lot_) would want to be recompiled for each
modification.  That was a major time waster for me in the 2.2 cycle.

> ( blah->basePtr()->foo() looks like an odd API to me... )
Even as it is now, few programmers would ever see this side of the API.  I
will be creating a few more wrapper functions, but the basePtr() use is
mostly restricted to places where relatively 'unusual' things are done (such
as removing an accelerator from the set).

On Saturday 17 November 2001 09:51 am, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> Another question: why are KAccelAction's members all public?
Because I haven't written property functions yet. ;)