List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Heads up: new KAccel classes
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-11-17 5:46:18

To all: I'm having a local problem with cvs and haven't been able to get the
kdenetwork commits to work yet.  Hopefully tomorrow...

On Friday 16 November 2001 06:44 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 07:26:40PM -0500, Ellis Whitehead wrote:
> > I'm committing rewritten KAccel & KGlobalAccel classes.
> >
> > Most custom global accel keys will be lost due to renaming of actions.
>
> I assume this is only for us developers and that the users of the release
> version of KDE3 will not loose anything, right?

Hi Thomas,

Interesting question.  The first answer is that, as it is now, users moving
from KDE2.x to KDE3.0 _will_ loose most custom key binding -- more
specifically, the bindings will revert to their defaults.  If we're going to
try to preserve these settings across releases, it might not be a bad idea to
perform the appropriate conversions in the kdeglobals resource file once on
first startup of 3.0.  Is there any mechanism for this sort of thing already
in place?

Ciao,
Ellis