List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Problems when KStyles are used to style Qt-only apps.
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-17 2:22:48

#if Karol Szwed

> It seems like some of the static stuff in kdecore causes problems when used in
> styles loaded by qt-only apps. Not linking to kdelibs is an option, but if
> that were done I'd probably like to move kdeui's kimageeffect, kpixmapeffect,
> and kdecore's kpixmap, kpixmapsplitter and kpixmapprovided into a seperate
> lib that doesn't depend on kdecore/kdeui. That way, the styles could still
> use the effect routines such as gradients, blending  etc. and kdecore/kdeui
> could link to this lib if required.
>
> This would have one consequence though, I would not be able to use KConfig at
> all in the KDE Styles. QSettings is available however, but I have yet to
> determine how suitable that is for the themeable styles that previously did
> use KConfig.

I agree that it would be a good idea to move k(image|pixmap)effect and
some other gfx-mashing stuff into a separate lib, probably called
'libkdefx'.

This seems like the most logical solution, and I don't think it will
cause any problems.

Yes, you can't use KConfig and therefore stuff like KIconEffect, but I
don't think this is a problem for styles (doesn't KToolBarButton handle
drawing the icons ?), plus I would be happier with libkdefx containing
only lower-level stuff, working on images/pixmaps, rather than it having
to know about icons etc.

Rik