List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Unified Application Scripting Interface
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-11-12 22:29:52

On Monday November 12, 2001 01:14, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> Greetings
> 	As many of you know I have been working on adding many new DCOP
> interfaces to KDE 3.0.  Some of you also know I have been working on
> different approaches to automate and expand KDE.  I have attached a link
> to the current project I am proposing.  It mixes the concepts of KParts
> Plugins and DCOP scripting.  Please review the document and let me know
> about what you think. I would like to commit the interface and the
> script loader classes this week sometime.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/geiseri/scriptinterface.pdf

I still don't understand what these scripts are supposed to be doing.  How
are the scripts to be given access to the various parts of the
application? DCOP?  If so, then what's the point of having a script loader
in every single application, as opposed to a central scripting facility?

Imagine this:  You have a library of scripts, each with a name, and a set
of DCOP interface name(s) they use.  The user could select a script, and
then select from a list of running applications that provide the required
DCOP interface(s).

Or, select an applicaton, and be given a list of scripts that can act on
the application.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.