List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig object-orientification
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-11-02 13:55:45

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:02:22AM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2001 11:47 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > > Backwards compatibility wasn't my idea (I don't really favor it, for that
> > > matter).
> >
> > Then I don't think it has a place in KDE 3.
> >
> > > And inheriting from KConfigBase is both messy, requires all those
> > > functions to be virtual (slowing it down), and requires more memory at
> > > run time (since the members of KConfigBase will be duplicated).
> >
> > Bullshit, you only need to override the lookupData and putData methods and
> > *surprise* those are virtual already.
>
> So send a patch :P

Before this gets ugly;
Charles, we all like the stuff you are creating, it has great ideas and stuff
like that. But please try to work together instead of fighting your way through
the opinions of others (I am imagining it feels that way).
If a number of people tell you they want backwards compatibility, try to understand
why they have a need for this and try to gain knowledge about the subject before
you just cry 'send a patch' which is not really nice for all involved...

For me the beauty of working in KDE is the huge ground of experience, and the
willingness to share. I share an idea and others find refinements to perfect,
working in the same direction etc. bla bla.

Well before this gets to be a major speech, Charles; please don't behave like
you have not slept for much to long and try to listen to the well ment advice
of others. Thanx.

And, Waldo; your words are to harsh IMO :)