List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Print Manager module made root-only
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-10-31 18:35:03

On Wed 31 Oct 01 13:12, Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel wrote:

> Yes, there seems to be a problem. We don't have other modules that make a
> lot of sense as root and as non-root. The other modules only have a real
> read-only mode.

The lanbrowsing module has its own user/root handling. It has three tabs, two
of them are for the normal user, the third is for root.
I did it that way that the user can always modify all settings, but if he
applies the settings and he changed the settings on the root tab, he is asked
for the root password and then the config file is saved via kdesu.

(I know it's a hack but I think this way is the most user friendly)

> Perhaps we should have two entries in the control center, one under
> Peripherals/Printer, containing the user configurable settings, and one
> under System/Printers, used for the system-wide settings that have to be
> done as root?

I don't think having the same module in two places is a good idea.

Bye
Alex