List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Print Manager module made root-only
From:       Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk () caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-10-31 11:15:48

On Wednesday, 31. October 2001 11:25, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the print manager KControl module has been made root-only. May I
> ask why? It does not really make sense as the module mandule manages
> itself the fact that the current user is allowed (or not) to perform
> management tasks:
> - in CUPS, it is not always needed to be root to perform management
>   tasks. And if only root is allowed to do that, the module will ask
>   itself root authentification.
> - in LPD, if the module is started as normal user, all management
>   operations are disabled.
>
> Moreover, the print module also allows any user to define its own
> default printer as well as new instances or pseudo-printers. And this
> is valid whatever the print system or user. So IMO, the warning about
> root access may only confuse  the user.

Michael,

it is not root only. It also implements a read only mode. That means that it
will work as before for users, but it will show the "Modify" button as well,
allowing to switch to root mode when needed.

I was not aware that this breaks things. If it does, I am sorry for that
change. I thought it would be a no-brainer, but obviously I should have sent
you the patch for review first. Sorry about that.

Bye,
Matthias.