List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: ideas for KDE3.0
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-10-29 18:36:11

On Monday 29 October 2001 20:09, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2001 17:29, Holger Freyther wrote:
> > [ ... ] I know it's using KRadioAction. We could
> > add a KPopupMenu which triggers on a right click. it could be accessible
> > by KPopupMenu
> > KRadioAction::popupMenu( ) or QPopupMenu::popupMenu() ( I volunteer to do
> > this).
>
> I don't know to what extend this collides with the general concept of
> KActions, but I personally would love to have methods on KActions for
> supporting right and middle clicks if the widget in which they are plugged
> supports it.
> Middle click for e.g. the Konq back/forward/up/home buttons to open in a
> new window and right click for a context menu.
>
> Having a popupmenu() method instead of a simple right click might be a bit
> too inflexible. Or could we define a default rightClick() handler that
> opens the context menu, but that can be overridden when preferred?
>
> Hmm... now that I think of this, the popup menu would be a nice candidate
> for the KStdGuiItem class that I proposed yesterday, as it is not
> necessarily bound to a KAction...
I did not receive anything about this (note needs tocheck my filters)
Yes we could have  signals inside KAction and connect to them this would be
ok too.
It could conflict with another KAction I don't know the name but if you click
on a button longer then there will be last popping up

> > I added plugin support to KonqPopupMenu (
> > http://lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=100434667113459&w=2 ) . I would like
> > to add plugin support to more places. (kicker menu, kdesktop, kmail??) I
> > think Plugins for PopupMenu is cool, because it offers dynamic. ( I
> > volunteer to do this )
>
> Would be nice to have too, but I'm not sure if you can get that working and
> tested in time for KDE 3.0. Does it require API changes? Otherwise you
> might want to postpone this to KDE 3.1.

It's working and I'll get the main ones working for KDE 3
Look at the thread in kfm-devel about the PluginInterface

> > I would like to add more TearOffHandles to KDE Applications. TeraOffMenus
> > comes handy a lot of time. Some of you know the systray plugin of noatun.
> > If you want to skip say 6 songs. You need to right click 6 times and
> > click 6 times. But with a Tear off Handle you can tear off it and then
> > just click it. I already did this. I tried to do this with knewsticker
> > too but they weren't using KActions for there menu. I added the TearOff
> > but it didn't work (besides I will add it).
>
> Would be nice, especially since this can be done safely until quite late
> into the overall feature freeze (it doesn't affect stability and/or API).
I will start doing this

> Martijn
regards Holger
--