List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Expanding environment variables in minicli
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-28 18:43:40

On Sunday 28 October 2001 09:37, Frerich Raabe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the attached patch expands environment variables, if possible,
> automatically in strings entered via minicli. I for one find that pretty
> convenient since I'm used to typing stuff like 'cd $KDEDIR/include' or
> similar at the console.
>
> I'm not quite sure whether the '== QChar::Letter_Uppercase' check is
> correct (no idea which characters in particular may appear in an
> environment variable's name), but it's obviously very easy to fix that.
>
> Perhaps this functionality is worth to be added to KRun itself, although
> somebody on IRC mentioned that it is too complicated (or too much overhead
> or something, cannot remember really).
>
> Anyway, would be cool if you'd give it a shot and me some feedback. :-)

Hi Frerich,

There is no need to do this. This is why we already have the KURIFilter class which provides
plugins that allows you to filter user inputs which as you can see is used in minicli.  The kshorturifilter
plugin already filters environment variables.  The reason it does not yet work like it does i.e.
provide all the available environment variables is because konqueror uses a different completion
object,  KURLCompletion than does minicli.  I will fix that soon in minicli so that it is in par with the
file dialog and konqueror.

Regards,
Dawit A.