List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IRC Meeting on KDE 3 Theming [Was: Re: Reminder 2nd November]
From:       Ilya Konstantinov <kde-core-devel () future ! shiny ! co ! il>
Date:       2001-10-28 3:36:34

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 11:20:27PM -0400, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> Thus, what I say: instead of inventing a 7th wheel for this (5 years old)
> cart, call it nice names and saying it will avoid over-engineering, I believe
> more in rearranging (not rewriting!) the KControl system so that it gets a
> logical layout instead its current programmatic (developer's fisheye)
> structure. In the process, we will be able to make things more easily
> conceivable with a single look from the average user, and offer technological
> means for future development into a versioning + distributing infrastructure.

Quite simply - we need to move WM Decorations, Themes and Styles into
one KControl module. From the user's standpoint, there's no
distinction. Initially, the user would just see a list of themes and
"Use a custom style instead of the one provided by the theme" checkbox
(and similar checkboxes for "color", "window decorations" ...) and a
"Customize" button for each of the items. That way we'll avoid flooding
the user with options while maintaining the configuratibility
power-users love KDE for.

Another issue obvious from the programmer's standpoint but not from the
user's is how we separate different window decorations provided by
different KWin engines. For most users, the engine providing the
decoration isn't important -- they'd rather see them grouped by their
Graphical style or Theme, even if it means grouping different engines
together.