List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: IRC Meeting on KDE 3 Theming [Was: Re: Reminder 2nd November]
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-10-28 2:12:24

On Saturday October 27, 2001 04:50, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Saturday 27 October 2001 13:00, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > If you haven't already read it, take a look at the Metastyle proposal
> > Karol and I have come up with:
> >
> > http://www.freekde.org/neil/metastyle/
>
> Well, I don't agree. We don't need yet another API to deal with. We need
> to make KControl more clever.
>
> Some sort of versioning control for all KDE configuring options, plus a
> standard for extracting, applying, managing them, plus a central
> transparent server (not the usual themes web page, but a server with
> specific functionality, so that user can uniformize automatically config
> between distinct networked machines) would be in order.

It is possible to over-engineer something.

In the case of look and feel, we have a specific need, and a specific set
of users that wants it.  If you go overboard making it too complex, you
lose the users that wanted it in the first place.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.