List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Announce: KIO-Sync 0.1.0
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-10-27 6:51:42

On Saturday 27 October 2001 03:09, Charles Samuels wrote:
> Q. How fast is it?
> A. In theory, it should be much faster than KIO for stuff like listing a
> directory (which sends lots of signals).  Benchmark it if you will, but as
> I said, multiple jobs per dispatcher isn't a keen idea yet.  I think KIO's
> bottleneck is the Qt signals, which are designed for high level things like
> button presses, not speed critical low level stuff like "A New file
> available, here is the mimetype data."  I have no research to back this up.

Qt's doc says something related :

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/signalsandslots.html

and from
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/templates.html

Aside: If you have a signals and slots connection in a tight inner loop of a
performance critical task and you identify this connection as the bottleneck,
think about using the standard listener-interface pattern rather than signals
and slots. In cases where this occurs, you probably only require a 1:1
connection anyway. For example, if you have an object that downloads data
from the network, it's a perfectly sensible design to use a signal to
indicate that the requested data arrived. But if you need to send out every
single byte one by one to a consumer, use a listener interface rather than
signals and slots.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org