List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: problem with a simple pdf
From:       "Wilco Greven" <j.w.greven () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-25 15:21:32

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 10:47:17AM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2001 05:47 pm, aleXXX wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I attached two files. Both were generated from the same text file using
> > a2ps and ps2dpf (or something like this).
> > I can view them on my system without problems. But on the installation of
> > my neighbour the first line of the pdf file ("zur umwandlung einer
> > textdatei....") is not visible.
> > Both attached files were created as written in them.
> > Does anybody else experience the same problem ?
> yes, the problem is with fonts, gv will render as much as it can, and acrobat
> has very nice font substitution.  Kghostview just pukes.

Crap, GV and KGhostView are both Ghostscript frontends. So if one shows
a file fine, the other does as well, and vice versa.

> You have a font that your neighbor lacks.  This is not a fault with KDE
> persay but a fault of ghostview.  They do not take provisions for embedding
> fonts or font substitution the way Acrobat does... .but alas you get what you
> pay for :P
>
> - -ian reinhart geiser
>
> p.s. i shelled out the $300 usd not to have this problem anymore.  But my
> business relies on readable PDFs.

I haven't seen a PDF file yet which KGhostView couldn't show, while
Acrobat could. Of course Acrobat is a lot easier to use for navigating
large files using with links and a document outline. But KGhostView will
get those features too, eventually.

Wilco