List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Addition of KWin support for MOTIF hints for the removal of the c lose button
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-24 8:52:30

---------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:02:27 -0700
From: "Antunes,Danny \[PYR\]" <Danny.Antunes@ec.gc.ca>
To: "'kde-core-devel-admin@mail.kde.org'" <kde-core-devel-admin@mail.kde.org>

Hello There.

I had been having an e-mail conversation with one of your colleagues about a
problem I have been having. He suggested that I try to see if there is
anyone interested in the KDE-CORE-DEVEL group in extending KDE's support of
Motif hints. In particular KWin's support for MOTIF hints with support for
the removal of the close button.

First...Our situation is that we use a HPUX server to run a few programs
which have Motif windows on remote clients. We had been previously using
HPUX clients, but we have begun to try to use Linux clients with KDE. On a
particular application certain windows have the close button 'x' removed
from the window, and we have now discovered why. On the Linux box with KDE
when the window is displayed the window has the close button (on the HPUX
client's MOTIF window does not), and when the users close it using this
button the whole application crashes. There are several programs that don't
have a close button on the MOTIF windows and we would like to be able to
have this functionality follow through to the Linux boxes.  I realize fixing
the program would be the best solution but we don't have access to the
source at this time, and if only the users would heed our warnings!

Secondly...I realize that many you are very busy developing KDE, and I
appreciate that you have read this much. But it would be great if someone
felt like taking this on.

The improvements in KDE and the functionality I keep on finding in KDE
continue to surprise me. Congratulations on a great project.

Take Care.
Danny Antunes
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada