List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: doubleclicking toolbar buttons
From:       Michael Brade <brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2001-10-22 20:49:32

On Monday 22 October 2001 21:09, Jelmer Feenstra wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2001 19:22, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > #if Michael Brade

> > > ??!?? I don't agree here. Can you give me at least one example where a
> > > *double* click is neccessary to perform the required action? Who is
> > > used to doulbe click a tool button? (Sorry, I really don't know...)
> >
> > The point is that users will accidentally click buttons twice. I see
> > them do it on hypertext links, on icons in Windows' Explorer (which is
> > set up for single click) and on buttons.
>
> Well, doubleclicking the back button (for example) in IE makes it go back
> two pages. I don't think we should try and keep this doubleclick nightmare
> alive by encouraging users to doubleclick everything.
Yep. I just verified, and believe me, IE caches previous pages so that you
really can't double click fast enough to not see both pages! Even triple
click brings you back three pages (there IE skips one page). And those users
that are too stupid to realize they made a double click and changed two pages
do not deserve to work with KDE - sorry, just my opinion.

So should KDE behave differently? I think not! Otherwise it will be just the
other way round: people will complain that the double click only goes one
page back - like we are doing right now ;)

> > So it's definitely an `expert' option. If there is a reasonably way to
> > implement it without major hacks in all apps, fine. Otherwise, I suggest
> > you just be patient ... about 400ms :) Or use Alt+Left, or whatever the
> > key combo is for going back a page.
>
> 400ms is too much for me when I'm trying to get things done, it makes the
> perceived speed of kde as a whole for me worse and I'm sure I'm not the
> only one.
Totally seconded. This scares me at least once a day.

One more thing: we already have a config option for single/double click. Why
not change the tool button behaviour accordingly? However, I'd vote for doing
it always the IE way, regardless of the single click option.

Ciao,
  Michael

--
       Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
             Linux however is `expert friendly'.