List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-16 11:28:47

On Tuesday 16 October 2001 18:31, Cornelius Schumacher
wrote:

> The categories can be used for grouping addresses. I will
> add the function "Addressee::List
> AddressBook::findByCategory( const QString & )". Then you
> can easily get all entries belonging to a certain
> category. Each entry can have multiple categories. Does
> this fulfil the requirements of distribution lists or is
> there something else, which has to be added?

I believe this fulfills the requirements. (Aliases are
distribution lists of length one so they are done too).

> > I see adresse.h and address.h, etc is there a reason
> > why (library header) files are not k prefixed?
>
> The classes live in their own namespace and the headers
> will be installed in an own subdirectory, so their is no
> need for prefixes.

I see, ok.

> Hmm, I don't understand
> You might not be able to edit addresses put
> into the address book by another program, but this is a
> limitation of the client, not of the API.

You understand just fine :-)

> > > - Dialog for selecting address book entries, supports
> > > mouse and keyboard selection, supports automatic name
> > > completion.
> >
> > Sounds interesting (unfortunately didn't look at it
> > yet) is it functional? Perhaps KMail could reuse it.
>
> It is functional. You can test it with the test program
> testkabcdlg (Use "make check" to build it). Before using
> it you have to create some entries in the addressbook,
> either by importing the libkab address book (with
> kab2kabc) or manually with the GUI frontend in
> kdepim/kabc/frontend.

I miss a Name field when I import using kab2kabc, perhaps it
could use the formatted name if the name field is empty.

> > Basically the kabc api looks ok to me.
>
> That's nice to hear :-)

Yes, categories is what I wanted.

Don.