List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-13 20:54:54

Hi Cornelius!

On Saturday 13 October 2001 22:11, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> - vCard backend (RFC 2425).

what about mulitple backends? I am particulary thinking of an SQL backend
(using Qt SQL). This is especially important for enterprises that already
have an existing database or want to share for example a customer database.

This is really important if we want to head towards the use of KDE in large
offices.

Later on, we could also support importing addresses from Lotus or Outlook
(which even shares them via IMAP IIRC).

As far as I can see from the source, the vcards are dumped into a plain text
file.

Maybe the possilility of using multiple databases could be useful in this
case, too (think of customer addresses vs. employee db).

All this would end up in a backend abstraction layer. What do you think?

Greetings,

</daniel>