List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Reducing the number of conflicts in libraries
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 13:42:37

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > I just recompiled Qt and Designer with -O3 (gcc 3.0.1) and got at a saving
> > of 5 kB in the application opposing a plus of ~1K in the library (insert()
> > and insertSingle() methods changed). I might have to convert and compile
> > more code to get clearer results.
>
>  4 KB saved for 2 methods changed to non-inline doesn't seem to be a bad
> result.

But it's hard to draw any conclusion from it as it might be subject to
some "noise".

> There are many more methods worth such change.

I did changed more in QValueList and QValueVector (>5 lines size). Got a
20K bigger libqt and 10K bigger Designer. Not better with -O3. I am not
using objprelink.

>  Actually, now it looks like that all we should do now about these things is
> to sit and wait (well, besides making the template members non-inline).

Unless someone comes up with a patch and comparison test showing positive
results I am quite hesitant to do it now. If at least -O3 performed better
a Q_TEMPLATE_INLINE version (optionally defaulting to '' instead of
'inline') could delivered for interested parties.

Harri.