List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE Dependencies
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 12:15:56

Hi,

I am working on a small project to try to catalog all the dependencies
that KDE has (other than of course kdelibs and Qt; X extensions on the
other hand would be included).

The principle reasons for having an accurate dependency list for KDE
are:

  * We are in the process of updating the release announcements to
provide
    the package locations and information in a more useful manner.
Having
    the dependency information for the various packages will simplify
    installing KDE.
  * Many users may be lacking a feature (such as drag'n'drop audio CD
ripping)
    but either aren't aware of the feature or doesn't understand why
that
    feature is not available on their machine.
  * Users who have dependency problems when installing packages can
determine
    what is missing and what the consequences are (such as if it is
acceptable
    to use '--nodeps' when installing the .rpm, and what applications
are
    effected).  In addition, users can use the database to find where
the
    packages are located.
  * It will demonstrate the degree of code reuse in Open Source
projects.

The document describing this project, including the information kept in
the database, is available at
http://promo.kde.org/devel/kde-dependencies.txt.  Once the basic
information has been added, over time it will of course be possible to
add more information to the database (particularly useful would be
information on where binary packages are available for different
distributions).

If you have suggestions for improving the XML format, or can provide
information about a KDE dependency, please email me.  Your contributions
will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Dre