List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Icons in KDE 3.0
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-09-23 17:17:19

Hi :-),

I sent this e-mail to all people who are either already actively involved in
creating graphics for KDE  or to those who have recently asked to get
involved.

If you want to work on icons for KDE 3.0 this is your best chance to become a
member of the KDE 3.0-artist-team.

tells you how to subscribe to it. You should be aware that the mailinglist
kde-look@kde.org does only deal with usability and _not_  with artwork.

Additionally you might want to join us on IRC:

irc.kde.org #kde, #kde-artists

There are several things to be done:

Updating the current style-guide for KDE 3.0
===================================

The current version of the KDE 2.0-Style-guide is available at:

http://artist.kde.org/introduction.html

Unfortunately there are some broken links there. We need a new
maintainer/some help  for the site artist.kde.org as well as for the
Style-Guide. So if you volunteer for this job, please speak up on this list
and you'll get the CVS-access you need to do this job.

We might want to consider to change the style-guide in various places.
While the icons for KDE 3.0 shouldn't look too different from the icons in
KDE 2.x there are quite some issues which might need to be rethought or
updated to the situation KDE 3.0 will offer.

The new style-guide for KDE 3.0 should be finished within approx. 2 weeks.

I have already posted some stuff related to this topic on kde-artists@kde.org

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=100125720327778&w=2

Current state of the icons
====================

Mimetype-icons, Filesystem-icons and Action-icons are currently in a good
shape (taking beauty, usability and consistency into account).
On the other hand Application-icons are lacking a lot and most of them
probably need to be completely recreated.

We don't have a list yet of icons which already do exist and a list of icons
which need to be done. Ideally the list of existing icons consists of a
webpage displaying the pixmaps for all icons including the various versions
available for the different sizes. Maybe the perfect solution to deal with
this problem is a script which is being run each day and which monitors the
CVS for icons.

Future
=======

core
-----
The core-parts of KDE should look as good and as consistent as possible.
Therefore people who plan to work on icons for the core-parts of KDE 3.0
(i.e. kdelibs/kdebase) should already have quite some experience in
creating/designing icons. They should always be aware of the current version
of the style-guide and they should be able to paint in a way that is
consistent with the icons which already do exist or which are being created
by other members of the artist-team. The members of the core-team get full
cvs-access.

beginners
-----------
people who haven't dealt much with painting icons should start with icons
which are not too hard to create and which belong to the 'circumference'
(like kdetoys, kde-edu, kde-games, etc.). Also they might want to start with
applications which are not part of the official KDE-CVS-tree (there still do
exist a few hundred applications which do need (better) icons on
http://apps.kde.com).

People who don't want to stay too consistent with the KDE-Icon-Styleguide
might want to search on apps.kde.com for applications which are not part of
the KDE-CVS-tree. There are probably dozens of apps there which don't need
to/ are not meant to look consistent with the other KDE-applications.

Schedule/TODO
=============

KDE 3.0 is meant to be finished by february/march. So at that point of time
the icons should be in an excellent and very consistent state.
So as there is not very much time left I'd suggest that we start taking care
of the Application-icons first. As soon as these are redone (we are talking
about a few hundred pixmaps here ...) we might continue by
updating/recreating the other icons as well.

If you have more ideas on KDE-icons or if you want to take care of other
artwork (there's more than icons ;) please post your suggestions to
kde-artists@kde.org.

Greetings,
Tackat