List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: klibfactory cleanup
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-24 9:37:55

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 09:59:24PM +0200, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> >
> > Argh, I see. Hmmm, so Qt for example is in trouble then?
>
> Yes.  Note though, that they are not in deep trouble.  The architectures,
> on which this isn't supported are not many.  But if nothing else, it
> prevents building static libraries out of everything.  If we can we should
> make those entry points disjoint.

Oh, I see, static linking is indeed a nono then. But hmm, the whole point
about components in DSO's is to avoid static linking on the other hand ;-)

The thing I don't like about encoding the component name into the entry point
symbol is that (aside from any platform/linking issues) it looks like
redundant information to me. It means for the developer that he has to
specify that very name in three different variants: Once as libfooname.la
in the Makefile.am, once as libfooname in the .desktop file and once as
strange extern "C" init_libfooname() method. Not really easy to use,
compared to for example Qt's approach, where you specify the component
name only one very single time: In the .pro file. In your source you just
write Q_EXPORT_FOO( MyBlah ) and that's about it.

Yes yes, call me a nitpicker about this tiny little detail in our API ;-)

Simon