List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Where to put post-2.2 development
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-24 1:58:44

On Sunday 23 September 2001 21:49, Neil Stevens wrote:

> Do we let KDE 2.x development live on in some branch, or do we lop its
> head off, as a warning to any who might consider developing in CVS in the
> future?

Well, if you put it this way, I will have to remember the non-written ruleset
which says:

the KDE CVS is for the concerted development of the KDE environment. You must
understand _before you upload your app_ that, once your app is in it, you
have to obey to the rules of the team:
- release schedules are thoroughly discussed and adopted by majority accord
- freezing is needed before each release
- app has to be functional before freezing
- a final branch supports only essential and security bugfixes
- development most of the times occur in HEAD

( you might not remember, there was a time we had many branches in parallel
for active development - KDE-1.1 KDE-1.1.2 KDE-1.95 etc. - and that was a
hell of a time. Active development occuring in HEAD is by far the best
situation).

So, _before you commit your app_, remember all these.

Of course, nobody ever will be able to stop anyone else from continuing
independent releases of code outside of CVS. There existed/exist many cases:
kbiff, knode, killustrator and perhaps many others.

> > So, perhaps the discussion should go in the direction of finding
> > solutions for CVS modularisation, collective CVS administration, more
> > advanced CVS packaging tools (starting from the already very good
> > kdesdk/scripts/cvs2pack) and so on.
>
> Yes.

My logoreic discourse and your spartanic "yes" is not enough. We need action.

CTpAݨO AO(Jp^@axF