List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Keeping the download size manageable
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2001-09-22 14:54:50

KDE has grown.  Qt has grown.  Both have many new features, and work a lot
better with the existing features.

All this growth hasn't come for free, though.  There's one area where
there's been a cost - download size.

qt-1.45.tar.gz        2,725,237
kdelibs-1.1.2.tar.bz2 1,436,365
kdebase-1.1.2.tar.bz2 7,181,379
-------------------------------
                     11,342,981

So, on my modem anyway, the core of KDE 1.1.2 was an hour and a half to
download. I didn't think twice about trying KDE.

qt-x11-free-3.0.0-beta5.tar.gz 13,698,726
kdelibs-2.2.1.tar.bz2           5,999,418
kdebase-2.2.1.tar.bz2          12,696,643
                               32,394,787

On the other hand, using KDE 2.2.1 + Qt 3 as a projection of KDE 3, KDE 3
would be a 4 hour download.  That's not an automatic decision.

Qt is out of our control, though if I can afford the bandwidth I'll make a
micro-Qt (source without API docs, and development tools) download
available when the time comes.

The other packages are within our control, though.  I'd ask that
developers keep people with slow connectivity in mind for the next
release, and consider making it a goal that kdelibs-3.0.tar.bz2 and
kdebase-3.0.tar.bz2 be no larger than 2.2.1, and maybe even smaller.

Why is smaller good?  A smaller size for the core packages makes it more
likely that a person will even try KDE.

Why do source package sizes matter?  Source packages are a place where
people get their start in learning KDE development, accessable tarballs
make development accessable.

Ideas for paring the size:

* Move english docs to the i18n package, just as all other docs are.
Removing doc/ from kdebase reduced the archive by 15% in my test.

* Move code to other packages.  Most KWin and KStyles, KSysguard,
nsplugins, and some of the ioslaves like audiocd are debatable as part of
a base install.

thanks for reading,
--
Neil Stevens