List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Cervisia development
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-09-10 23:35:44

Hi Bernd,

I've been thinking about how we should deal with the Cervisia
development issues (mainly how to maintain a stable 2.x codebase).
You've already said that you want to keep the sourceforge CVS
running on KDE 2.x, so how about we make the kdesdk version the
'development tree' which would aim to work with 2.x, but would
have the KDE 3.x HEAD as the primary target. We should be able
to sync compatible patches between the two trees without too much
problem, I guess. Whenever I'm happy with a feature, and have a
tested 2.x patch I'll mail it to you for inclusion in the
sourceforge tree. What do you think, is this ok?

Currently my local copy has diverged quite a bit from both CVS
versions, as I've been separating the front and back ends of the
app. This change has let me write a Cervisia plugin for other
apps. The plugin can extend arbitrary KParts (eg. Kate and KHTML
(and hopefully the KOffice apps too)) by adding a 'Version
Control' sub-menu to their file menus. The menu operates directly
on the file open in the part, but there is a bit more work still
needed to make everything integrate nicely (eg. the part should
be reloaded after a cvs update). Adding a DCOP interface to allow
scripting is trivial now I have a standalone API for invoking the
Cervisia actions, and should be working RSN.

I've appended the curernt ChangeLog for my local copy below.
Note that while the changes below are working here, only the
2001-09-01 batch is in the KDE CVS right now. Note also that
because the code differed from your version, I've appended
rich1 to the version number so we can keep track of bug
reports etc.

Cheers

Rich.

2001-09-08  Richard Moore  <rich@pegasus.local>

	* Added icons to a few actions.
	* Extended factory so it can create objects of any of the
	following classes:
	    - CervisiaPart
	    - Cervisia
	    - CervisiaPlugin
	* Added some missing consts.
	* Added an experimental KParts::Plugin that adds a version
	control sub-menu to any KPart. The plugin provides direct
	access to the most commonly used Cervisia actions, and
	offers a 'Run Cervisia' action for when you want to issue
	more complex commands.

2001-09-03  Richard Moore  <rich@kde.org>

	* Created a standalone API class Cervisia.
	* Moved the KAction stuff into a new class CervisiaActions.
	* Move the factory class info its own file.
	* Made cvs process handling a standalone class CervisiaJob.
	* Made CervisiaJob understand the difference between stdout
	and stderr.

2001-09-01  Richard Moore  <rich@kde.org>

	* Added support for KDE/Qt 3. At the moment I've just made the
	minimum set of changes required to make it compile. Qt 2.x is
	still supported of course.
	* Moved README, TODO, ChangeLog, cervisia.lsm and LICENSE.QPL to
	the main source directory.
	* Moved version string from configure.in.in to version.h
	* Updated version string
	* Added a kdoc build target to Makefile.am so we can generate some
	api documentation
	* Imported to kdesdk CVS module