List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Why (some) KDE software are not available in Android stores?
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-01-10 14:44:27

On Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2024 15:22:50 CET Filipe Saraiva wrote:
> Just a doubt, KDE has several interesting mobile software which support
> Android but they are not available in Android stores, like Neochat,
> Tokodon, Alligator, Kasts, etc.

Those apps are available in our F-Droid "stores":
https://community.kde.org/Android/F-Droid

But I guess you mean the Google store (and maybe other proprietary Android
stores).

> Why? Is that some technical reason related to our stack, person-power
> hour to work in provide these releases, or other thing?

The lack of person-power is the most important reason. The technical process
is pretty straightforward nowadays, but someone needs to check if the apps
comply with the store policies.

No. Wait. For new apps there's also a technical reason. For new apps Google
Play requires application bundles (AAB) instead of APKs. We can build AAB (at
least for Qt 5) on invent, but we cannot sign them yet. Shouldn't be to hard
to add given that it's mostly identical to APK signing. I'm going to work on
this once signing of Windows binaries is done.

People could start preparing the publication of more KDE apps on Google Play
by completing all the administrative tasks. Then we can immediately start
publishing those apps when the first signed AABs are packaged. Maybe shortly
after the February 2024 MegaRelease.

Regards,
Ingo