List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: request | are you keeping (unsupported) hardware in use by running Plasma?
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2023-01-10 20:02:53

On Freitag, 9. Dezember 2022 14:01:48 CET Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss wrote:
> - Distro and desktop environment you use,

Kubuntu 22.04 LTS with KDE Plasma 5.24 LTS

> - hardware information (RAM, etc.), and

MacBook Pro from 2009, I forgot the exact model but something along the lines
of https://support.apple.com/kb/SP544

> - bonus points if you know that other operating systems have
> discontinued support for that hardware (and if possible a link).

Afair that machine turned EOL in 2019 with macOS 10.10 Yosemite

> Also, feel free to share any stories that may be relevant. For instance,
> I convinced my parents some years ago to switch to GNU/Linux when their
> previous OS was pushing an update that gave them the unfortunate news
> that "This device doesn't meet minimum system requirements...". They did
> not want to buy new hardware since the hardware was still new and worked
> just fine. In fact, I believe the laptops were only 3 years old! I got
> this email from my mom recently, and I quote: "I am glad that I switched
> 95% of the time."

It is pretty much that story for me too. The machine above belongs to my
father (82 years old) who simply ignored the security issues with running an
EOL software for as long as 2022. At some point, a security update on our
email provider required a new cypher which was not supported by macOS Yosemite
anymore, so he was not able to read emails anymore. Firefox also stopped
delivering updates to that OS.

I haven't heard anything really bad from him. The biggest issue is probably
"it doesn't look exactly like what I used for the last ten years", but he's
doing a great job at adapting :)

Cheers

--
Milian Wolff