List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Gitlab update, 2FA now mandatory
From:       Frederik Schwarzer <schwarzer () kde ! org>
Date:       2022-10-25 6:29:27

Hi,

making assumptions or generalising a group of people will always "forget" about some \
people.

What about translators? Are they all as "techy" as you imagine all our devs are? \
(Spoiler: no they aren't) What about older contributors (like me)? Are they all as \
up-to-date with emerging technologies as you think they are? Maybe not.

I do have 2FA at work. It's a hardware token with a "put the number in this field" \
workflow. I did not have to set that up, I just use it. My bank uses a very special \
kind of 2FA which I just recently recognised as such. Meaning, I cannot use my bank's \
2FA technology for anything else so it feels like a different tech. Otherwise I did \
not yet have had the need for 2FA in my private life. I despise having accounts, so I \
do not use Paypal, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook or any other of the "common" \
accounts and do my online shopping as guest to not bother with login stuff there \
either.

So now for the KDE login I had to set up 2FA for the first time and it involved some \
confusion. I managed to set up KeePassXC with TOTP now but not without a close call \
in ruining my tax authority account credentials in the process becausecitvwas not \
clear to me at first that the Set up TOTP menu entry worked on one of the existing \
entries rather than enabling a separate way of adding accounts.

Speaking of taxes. In my country it's the last week for handing in tax reports, so I \
might have decided that my mind currently does not have enough free capacity to \
bother with keeping my KDE account working. The time span to handle this situation \
seems rather tight to me.

Anyway, while I see good reasoning behind the decision to use 2FA, I think it wasn't \
handled in a very good way. It would have been good to have more time for the change \
and also offer more support for people completely new to 2FA. Throwing in names of \
apps alone is not enough. Not everyone has time to spend an evening investigating \
those apps and then set one (or several) up just to realise it uses different \
terminology than gitlab (key vs secret key, pin vs password etc) which makes setting \
it up a fun little guessing game with quite some shrugging.

Please do not surprise a diverse group of people with different techy backgrounds, \
different age and different levels of smartness (meaning: eagerness to dig into new \
topics asap) with making something mandatory just because you and everyone you know \
are familiar with that particular tech anyway.

On a side not, I have decided to use this as an opportinity to set up 2FA for more of \
the few accounts I have and I also bought two Yubikeys to play around with those as \
well ... But I do not assume, everybody appreciates that kind of opportinities.

Cheers
Frederik