List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: RMS and open letter
From:       Patrick Spendrin <patrick_spendrin () gmx ! de>
Date:       2021-03-24 2:04:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

Hi everybody,

I haven't spoken up in a while, but this actually triggers me in a
special way. I haven't been a friend of the person Stallman, but that is
shared with a lot of other people, even some here within KDE.
Nevertheless this didn't stop me from contributing side by side with them.

> > Carl Schwan <carl@carlschwan.eu> wrote:
> > > Board of Directors of the Free Software Foundation. RMS has
> > > always been a negative force to the Free Software movement due
> > > to his toxic behavior. There is an open letter asking for his

This is harshly worded to say the least, if not insulting and plain
wrong. One can easily claim that without Stallmans work, we wouldn't be
where we are now.

> Hyperbole incoming: If someone invented the cure for all cancers and then went and \
> killed 1 million people with his bare hands, he would still be a monster.

There exist such cases. Think of reiserfs. Does the background of the
author make this bad software? Nope. Is he in jail for the right reasons
and not able to contribute further? Afaik yes.

> Having started Free Software doesn't give you carte blanche to in general being a \
> toxic person.

No, but the toxic behaviour of Stallman doesn't give anybody the carte
blanche to at least downplay completely Stallman's achievements for Free
Software (which is btw. not identical to an ideal society).

The question why Stallman can easily be readded to the board is a far
bigger issue here; We should address this foremost and ignore the person
Stallman.

regards,
Patrick

--
Diese Email ist von mir digital signiert.
Falls du ebenfalls deine Emails signieren oder verschlüsseln willst,

https://netzpolitik.org/2013/anleitung-so-verschlusselt-ihr-eure-e-mails-mit-pgp/

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]