Le vendredi, mars 12, 2021 7:49 PM, Ben Cooksley a = =C3=A9crit=C2=A0: > On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 3:39 AM Nate Graham wrote: > > > On 3/8/21 1:55 AM, Ben Cooksley wrote: > > > On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 2:55 AM Nate Graham > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I think doing GitLab stuff first makes sense in te= rms of usage of your > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0time. On that subject, I notice that both Jonathan= and Carl (CC'd) have > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0offered to handle setting up the test Discourse in= stance, or assist > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0with > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0it. Perhaps we can do them in parallel, and accomp= lish a bit of > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Sysadmin > > >=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0onboarding too. :) What do you think? > > > > > > > > > We'll need to investigate the capacity and capability of our servers > > > first to choose one that can potentially handle this (which as noted > > > earlier, is substantially constrained by the demand of the Discourse > > > developers to use Docker). > > > > Is that something that can only be done by you, or is anyone else > > available for it? Might this be a good onboarding opportunity? > > I'm afraid this is a task that can only be done by the existing members, = as it requires broad overview of a number of bits of information including: > - The current load base of our systems (ie. whether the system is current= ly at capacity) > - The type of server in question (bare metal vs. virtual machine, along w= ith the type of the underlying hardware - HDD vs. NVMe SSD for instance) > - The nature of other workloads on the machine (both in terms of security= , as well as the load they generate as part of operating) > - The geographic location of the server in question (as we can't locate P= II outside of the EU) > > To use an example, all of the physical machines we rent from Hetzner are = deployed using LXC, and all run multiple workloads. As such, any new servic= e deployed on one of these servers must be both compatible with deployment = inside an LXC container, as well as compatible with the workloads on those = machines. As the Discourse developers demand the use of Docker, all of thes= e machines are incompatible and cannot be used for this. > > Looking at our other machines with sufficient resources, many of them hav= e other issues which limit them here. > > Often what we will need to do is rebalance workloads, shifting them aroun= d to different servers in order to resolve the problem, which does mean it = can take longer than people would prefer to get things done. This is why ma= ny of the issues I noted in my earlier email have dependencies between them= . > > To use a recent example here, we've wanted for some time to shutdown Mimi= - which hosted our Python and Ruby web applications. The move of these app= lications elsewhere however was blocked by compatibility issues surrounding= one of the Ruby applications, which was recently resolved. Once that had b= een cleared, we then needed somewhere to move them. As another machine, Hep= ta, was only hosting WebSVN (which took most of it's disk space, preventing= it from hosting anything else immediately) we opted to move WebSVN to one = of our US based servers (which due to being US based can't handle PII, whic= h our Ruby/Python apps have to be able to handle). Following that, we were = able to then move the Ruby/Python applications to Hepta. > > It also isn't as simple as just adding more server resources, as in some = cases the place something will be moving from is a donated machine, and we = prefer to ensure these are well utilised - meaning something needs to move = back there in response. We also prefer to move services as little as possib= le to minimize downtime. If we were to simply add more machines, then we wo= uld end up with empty donated machines - which is a waste of the donation, = as well as not the best use of eV resources. I'm not sure I fully understand your last point. If we add a new machine fo= r a new service this shouldn't create an empty donated machine. I'm not reall= y an expert in things related to sysadmins but looking at the price at for VP= S in Hetzner that should be able to handle a service similar to krita-artists= .org in term of storage shouldn't cost the e.V. more than =E2=82=AC15 a month. I= think the e.V. can afford that to provide a lively place for the community to ask questions and discuss things related to KDE. Cheers, Carl > > > > In the meantime, it will be interesting to see how the discussion pla= ys > > > out in the issue as there has been some interesting commentary alread= y. > > > > Seems like the discussion has tapered off with Discourse mostly being > > the preferred choice. Other alternatives brought up there seem to be to= o > > immature or not projected to fully meet our needs. > > > > Nate > > Cheers, > Ben