List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: KDE Apps name trademarks
From:       Uli Klinkhammer <uk () kontent ! com>
Date:       2020-07-10 16:56:11

On 2020-07-09 15:48, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

>>> You might be able to do that, but as soon as you start to try to
>>> keep
>>> people
>>> from using the names, the cost-free, bureaucracy-free and layer free
>>>
>>> zone ends.
>>

> But there it starts.
> What are the conditions?
> Is it ok to have e.g. "Kate" on some website of your distro and sell
> the distro?
> But it is bad to e.g. have "Kate" in the name of an application when
> you sell that?

Funnily enough, Nextcloud is dealing with a very similar thing.

They are trying to prevent "different kinds of usage of their Software",
so they putted a Trademark on it.

So, in my opinion, the thing begins with a thread like this here, at it
ends there:

https://nextcloud.com/trademarks/

> If people upload our stuff and make money with it, be it so, that's
> their right granted
> by our license. One can check if they provide the sources after you
> buy it and request it,
> but I won't start to invest work to do such stuff.
>
> And I would not expect the e.V. to waste resources on such endeavors.

I totally agree.

Greets,

Uli