List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2020-06-12 23:36:26

El divendres, 12 de juny de 2020, a les 23:54:19 CEST, Ben Cooksley va escriure:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 7:49 AM Andras Mantia <amantia@kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
>
> Hi all,
>

> > don't want to add much as I'm not active anymore and have my share of
> fault
> > for not fixing certain bugs, but I'd like to reply to only one thing...
> >
> > On Friday, June 12, 2020 6:11:31 AM EEST Nate Graham wrote:
> > > However I think there is a bigger challenge that just the technical
> > > issues. My interactions in bug reports have been quite negative, I have
> > > to say, and I don't feel like the developer culture is very welcoming
> > > right now.
> >
> > Sorry if you had bad experience, not sure what happened, but I can assure
> that
> > most (or rather: all) developers I worked with in the PIM area were nice
> and
> > friendly.
>
> They are however, terrible at reading emails from the CI system. To the
> point I suspect they have filters sending such mail to the trash so it is
> never seen.
>
> Akonadi has been in a broken state for several days now on FreeBSD. They
> have received multiple notices of this to their mailing list, and yet no
> action has been taken.
>
> Because other software outside of PIM depends on Akonadi, the dependency
> builds for the CI system are unable to successfully finish (failing in
> Akonadi), meaning the CI system is now effectively unmaintainable on
> FreeBSD.
>
> Continued builds for software in Extragear and Release Service are
> therefore currently dependent on the Binary Compatibility of the system not
> being broken.
>
> Should anything happen to affect that then all of those builds will cease
> to work and be unfixable. That is a situation that I find fundamentally
> unacceptable.
>
> This type of issue has come up numerous times before, and is one that the
> PIM developers have failed to address.
>
> I'm therefore at a loss for options going forward and think that the only
> reasonable and viable solution in the long run will be to blacklist Akonadi
> from the CI system, and remove CI builds for everything with a hard
> dependency on it, including all of KDE PIM.

On the other hand maybe we just need to accept that we don't have enough people that \
care about FreeBSD and just remove the akonadi+dependants-FreeBSD builds and not the \
all the Akonadi+dependants builds.

Cheers,
  Albert