List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Help with KDE PIM and Google Privacy Policies needed
From:       Nicolás_Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-03-06 15:07:09

> On 6 Mar 2020, at 11:26, Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Martin Flöser - 06.03.20, 13:14:36 CET:
> > Am 2020-03-06 08:20, schrieb Nicolás Alvarez:
> > > Apple can give its million appstore apps access to Google calendar
> > > data, and Mozilla can let addons access email data, but we can't?
> > > What do they do differently?
> >
> > The only thing they do differently is that they have a permission
> > system in place. Doesn't apply for Thunderbird of course which means
> > we should look at their privacy policy. Though we should never ask
> > Google "Why is Thunderbird allowed?" as we don't want that
> > Thunderbird gets access revoked.
>
> I ask a different question:
>
> Why – at all – rely on a provider who dictates on who gets access to it
> and who does not? Why – at all – rely on a provider who by doing so
> creates a walled garden?

That's something you should go ask the thousands of users complaining that they can't \
connect to GMail using KMail. They're the ones relying on the provider. Go to the bug \
report and tell them the solution to their KMail errors is to stop using Google \
services. That should go well :)

--
Nicolás
Sent from my GMail account ;)=