On donderdag 4 juli 2019 20:42:31 CEST Martin Fl=F6ser wrote: >=20 > Boud pretty much describes the problem large projects (krita, kwin,=20 > plasma) have with bugzilla. We don't use bugzilla to handle bug reports,= =20 > but to somehow manage all the reports we get, to survive. I blogged=20 > about these issues years ago, I did statistics for KWin showing that >=20 > 90 % of the incoming bug reports are not bug reports, but rather=20 > duplicates, user support, etc. The situation hasn't changed much over=20 > the years. Reading Boud's comments it looks like the situation became=20 > much worse for krita lately and I do not want to swap with him. =46or the past six months or so, Krita is the KDE product which gets the mo= st bug reports. We're also seeing a continuation of the real rise in downlo= ads, social media traffic and user base. That results in lots more interact= ion with end-users, which I normally like. I like my users. The big differe= nce between working on Krita and all other jobs I've ever had is that when = I work on Krita, my work ends up being used. > Obviously for any large project the idea of swapping to an inferior=20 > system (which gitlab seems to be, haven't used it yet) is a horrible=20 > idea. But that's not the problem. The problem is that users interact=20 > with developers directly. The user goes to bugzilla or gitlab issues and= =20 > reports a support request. Instead of friendly user support he gets a=20 > grumpy third level support answer that this is not an issue. No help,=20 > frustrated user and frustrated dev who just wasted another minute on=20 > bugzilla to handle user support. I try not to be grumpy... But we've closed ask.krita.org and I've retired f= rom reddit and we don't do support on Twitter -- because it's no longer man= ageable. > No company would allow to have Boud handle user support. That's insane.=20 > He's product owner, chief technologies, call him whatever you want, but=20 > he is not first level user supporter. In fact, I hired one of the volunteers who spent all her time helping peopl= e to help me fix bugs. It's working out great, and I've hired a second bug-= fixing minion, and now the first minion (they choose their titles) is tryin= g to help to figure out how to plug the user support gap. > That's the problem we have to face. Whether we use bugzilla or gitlab=20 > issues for internal issues is irrelevant.=20 Not totally irrelevant. Gitlab just does not cut the mustard for tracking b= ugs. It was not designed for that, it cannot handle that. The whole discuss= ion about ditching bugzilla and moving to gitlab issues is, as far as I am = concerned, a has-been. It's over. You don't point people at something like = invent.kde.org and ask them to figure out how to report a bug. > What is important is that we a > get users to use an adequate user support forum and not bugzilla or=20 > gitlab issues. Once we get the shit reports out of our bug tracker,=20 > everything looks different. I'm not very hopeful about that happening, though. > Right now from KWin perspective I would say "hell no!" to the idea of=20 > using gitlab issues. But a better tool for development which gitlab=20 > issue seems to be is something I would like to have. Because for=20 > development planing I never really liked bugzilla. Although it might be=20 > that it was just too useless due to all the invalid bug reports. Yes, development planning is not what bugzilla is for. We need a four-stage= system: 1. User support system. User reports an issue, gets a canned answer in 90% = of the cases. In 10% of the cases, they have found a bug. 2. Bug tracker. Those user bugs, and the bugs the developers find are regis= tered. With the right component, version, all the data we can get. Once the= bug gets assigned, we move to system 3. 3. Task system. Information about one or more bugs gets consolidated into o= ne task, and a plan is formulated. The task gets updated with commits, comm= ents and so on during the implementation phase. It ends in review request = or merge request... 4. There's a merge request or review request, and once it gets accepted or = merged, 3 is informed, 2 is informed and 1 is informed. > My suggestion is to address the user support and then look into whether=20 > we want to keep bugzilla or switch to gitlab issues. =46or me it's clear: gitlab issues can, barely, replace Phabricator's tasks= =2E They cannot replace a bug tracker.=20 =2D-=20 https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org