List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Invent/gitlab, issues and bugzilla
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2019-07-04 17:18:59

On donderdag 4 juli 2019 19:02:10 CEST Nate Graham wrote:
> On 7/4/19 10:39 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > Is it really true that gitlab makes reporting bugs easier for our users? I.e., \
> > does it offer easier login, an easier way to add screen shots and screen \
> > recordings or crash logs?
>
> In my experience, yes. Being able to use a single account for everything
> is a big benefit

But is that also true for users? If someone uses a KDE application and wants to \
report a bug for the first time, which is easier? Making a bugzilla account, or \
making a KDE identity account and using that for gitlab?

> . And being able to add multiple images and files inline
> via drag-and-drop is a huge improvement over Bugzilla IMO. Then again if
> Bugzilla 6 offers this, that will remove one advantage of GitLab issues.

Yes... So I don't think that is all that urgent.

> > Is it really true that gitlab makes it easier for our users to make reports of a \
> > better quality? Like, better wizards, forms, support for smarter templates, more \
> > ways to cross-check a bug report with other bug reports, or cross-check the \
> > internal consistency? Is it easier for a user reporting a bug on gitlab to tell \
> > us which OS, version of OS, version of the application they are using?
> > Does gitlab offer convenience features for our users like replying by email? (I \
> > know that some people think email is on the way out, but in real life, everyone \
> > has email -- and if it were going out -- is there integration with instant \
> > messaging?) Does gitlab make it easier to be notified of events related to the \
> > issue?
>
> I'm not sure about these.

Well, those are important questions :-)

> > We all know that gitlab has a rich text editor. This is modern, but how important \
> > is that, actually? And how important is it to have a rich text editor in our \
> > issue reporting system right now? Are we experience a decline in the number of \
> > user reports because more and more people don't want to use bugzilla?
>
> Anecdotally, yes. I very commonly hear users on social media write and
> say things like "I don't file KDE bugs anymore because Bugzilla is
> ancient and incomprehensible". Though to be fair, they also commonly say
> that it's because we don't do a good enough job triaging bugs, or that
> KDE developers are too mean and abrasive when dealing with users, so
> take it with a grain of salt.

Given that I'm inundated with bug reports for Krita, I'll subscribe to that grain of \
salt -- I just don't believe that people who haven't got any KDE login anyway, for \
people who just use an application, experience a crash and then want to report a bug \
are and then arrive at bugs.kde.org decide to not report the bug because the they \
cannot login with the KDE identity they don't have yet. I don't believe that my users \
get confused even if they have a KDE Identity (for the forum, and KDE Identity is the \
biggest problem we have with the forum, before search, threading, email) -- most \
people who actually report bugs seem to accept this.

And just imagine being a non-technical user who has to find their to reporting a bug \
on a KDE project, who starts at https://invent.kde.org/public/ -- there's no help at \
all!

--
https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org