List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Anonymous contributions
From:       Nate Graham <nate () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-04-16 20:00:24

 ---- On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:38:04 -0600 Ben Cooksley <bcooksley@kde.org> wrote ----
 > This hook was implemented in the first place to ensure that people had correctly \
setup Git on their local machine.  > On some versions of Git (maybe all?) it will \
automatically use the local user account name as the name.  > This leads to people \
committing as "me", "user" and "nobody" without meaning to, but which still leads to \
a situation in which the metadata of a commit has ended up being useless.  > I'd \
rather maintain a small list of exceptions for those who do have names without a \
space in them to ensure that for the vast majority of our users do correctly get \
informed they need to fix their local setup.  > Cheers,Ben

The only people who have commit access have been specifically granted this privilege. \
I think it's fair to say that all of them have git set up correctly on their machines \
by the time they've been approved for commit access. More casual contributors who \
exhibit this issue always have someone else to push the commit for them, and that \
person is already responsible for verifying their authorship info.

Nate