List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: kde.modular.im: "I am at least 16 years old. "
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-02-20 22:09:35

On 2/21/19 6:56 AM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> * Matrix now logs #krita on freenode (well, it has been doing so for quite some \
>                 time, since the first bridge user appeared)
> * We have always tried to make sure #krita has no permanent logs; we don't want \
> that.

It's possible in the channel settings to decide whether newly-joined
users get backlog from prior to their join or not. The bridging extends
to the permission model, i.e. ops on the IRC side get to change these
settings on the Matrix side. An argument can be made that the default
may not be the right one, but in any case as channel op you retain
control over how your channel works on both systems.

But I'll note that this isn't something that's come about due to KDE now
having a Matrix server - it was already the case for a few years, and
started when freenode agreed to give Matrix API access to the network
different from what regular IRC clients can do (not that logging and
relaying that log can't also be done by a regular client).

It's probably a little confusing right now what exactly is new now, but
it's not all that much: We can now have swanky :kde.org addresses on
Matrix and more control over the onboarding experience for people who
are amenable to using Matrix to chat KDE (and your original point
regarding the age checkbox of course reads very much on this onboarding
topic). All the other consequences of Matrix existing were already the
case before.

Cheers,
Eike