List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Discourse
From:       Martin_Flöser <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-11-27 16:30:13

Am 2018-11-26 22:04, schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Montag, 26. November 2018 18:03:55 CET Martin Flöser wrote:
>> Am 2018-11-26 09:23, schrieb Ilmari Lauhakangas:
>> > The main problem in any case will be getting enough engagement. I
>> > don't think I have ever received a reply from a KDE developer in the
>> > current forums.
>>
>> And that's good! Do you want that developers spend time answering
>> simple
>> support questions any other user could answer or do you want
>> developers
>> to code? No company would put their expensive developers on the front
>> line for support.
>
> No company would publish their precious IP (aka source code) as Free
> Software.
> Luckily, KDE is not a company but a community of people where
> everybody, even
> the most precious developers, can be at the front line for support if
> they
> want to be there.

Of course that is not what I meant. Currently we have the problem that
user support is completely handled by over qualified developers. Just
check bugs.kde.org in the product KWin. It's me, David and Vlad doing
the user support. That is such a waste of resources. If we wouldn't do
it, nobody would do it.

I don't want to tell developers to not do user support. If they want to
do that, it's fine. But currently our infrastructure forces it on us.
And that's a problem and won't scale in the long run.

Cheers
Martin