On Samstag, 11. August 2018 14:25:16 CEST Valorie Zimmerman wrote: > In addition there is the widespread opinion that amateurs are better > than professionals for KDE, and that if there are professionals > working on software, that the volunteers will leave. In fact, this > idea seems widespread in the FOSS world. From what I have seen, > professionals can *increase* volunteer contributions, by laying the > groundwork for successful onboarding, by paying attention to details > which volunteers left undone or did improperly, by doing work that no > volunteers have the skills or interest in doing, in ensuring that > documentation is up-to-date, by thinking of tasks such as training > sessions for bug-triage, documentation writing, packaging, testing > days and so forth. Hi Valorie, Thank you for bringing this topic up! Interestingly, in almost all conversations I had at Akademy about this topi= c,=20 people were actually very positive about the prospect of growing an ecosyst= em=20 of companies around KDE. Maybe it's the difference between the people who a= re=20 still active and want to see people spend paid time on KDE, and those who a= re=20 mostly watching KDE from the sidelines and want to go back to "the good old= =20 times=CC=A3"=E2=84=A2 when KDE was just a bunch of enthusiastic geeks who w= anted to change=20 the world as a hobby. =46or those people who claim that having paid people work on a Free Softwar= e=20 project will inevitably kill all motivation for volunteers, let's look at s= ome=20 examples within or close to KDE: 1. Plasma: If you look at the percentage of regular Plasma developers who a= re=20 employed by Blue Systems, you could indeed think that nobody wants to work = on=20 it as a volunteer anymore. However, the reality is the other way around: It's not that volunteers stay= =20 clear of Plasma because it has so many paid developers, it's rather that=20 whenever a very active Plasma contributor is looking for a job, chances are= =20 high that they get that job from Blue Systems, to be able to spend more tim= e=20 doing what they've been doing before as volunteers. Kai Uwe or Roman are th= e=20 latest examples. In fact, as far as I know, all of the Plasma developers who work for Blue=20 Systems have started working on Plasma as volunteers and then got hired by= =20 Blue Systems. 2. Krita: Krita has become very popular as a volunteer project, until it gr= ew=20 to a point where it became difficult to sustain it purely with volunteer wo= rk.=20 The team started the Krita Foundation to raise money to pay for 1.5 (or 2.5= ,=20 different sources have told me different numbers) people to work on it. It continues to grow, and I have not heard of volunteer contributions going= =20 down since then. 3. ownCloud / Nextcloud: ownCloud was envisioned as a company-driven projec= t=20 from early on, but always aimed to have a healthy base of volunteer=20 contributors. However, their "open core" model with a mandatory contributor= =20 license agreement, together with a decision-making process that wasn't as o= pen=20 as outside contributors had hoped, resulted in the community not shaping up= as=20 envisioned. So what Frank did was fork out Nextcloud, without a CLA, fully open source = and=20 with more focus on community, but still with a paid core team. As far as I= =20 know, this has worked out exceptionally well and they now have both a=20 commercially successful company _and_ a big, happy volunteer community. 4. Kontact: The current business client for the Kolab server is still based= on=20 Kontact, yet most of its development is currently volunteer-driven.=20 5. KOffice / Calligra: Their story is very complex, so much so that I would= n't=20 dare trying to retrace it from my limited insight into it. I'd rather leave= =20 that to the team. I'm just listing it here so that people won't think I've= =20 left it out on purpose. What I gather from these examples is that having a company involved in the= =20 development of a KDE- or KDE-related project does neither guarantee its=20 success nor its failure. Whether it's a positive or negative influence (or= =20 both) very much depends on the way that the company engages with the=20 community. If the company takes full control of development and only maybe accepts a=20 small patch here and there from outside volunteers, then of course voluntee= r=20 contributors will lose their motivation pretty quickly. If, however, the company makes sure that people employed by it still consid= er=20 themselves as part of the community just like everybody else - which is wha= t=20 Blue Systems does, for example - they can happily coexist with volunteer=20 contributors. I - this is my personal opinion, not necessarily the board's stance - fully= =20 agree with Valorie that a healthy ecosystem of companies and/or foundations= =20 around KDE, with paid contributors collaborating with KDE's volunteers, wou= ld=20 not just be a good thing, but actually necessary for us to be able to compe= te=20 with other products (be they FOSS or proprietary) that are doing the same. So what I'd like us to do, instead of cowering in fear of the dangers of th= e=20 dreaded business world meddling with our volunteer-driven community, is=20 actively looking for ways we could promote the growth of a company and/or=20 foundation ecosystem around KDE! Best, Thomas