List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Improving our integration with KDE application teams, and supporting companies
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-08-13 13:08:38

Just to follow up: many people have talked about this topic with me at
Akademy. What I'm not seeing is a public discussion here on the
community list. Note: I deliberately did not send this to the e.V.
list because this is not strictly an e.V. matter. I do believe that
the e.V. should support and welcome companies, but NOT hire
programmers.

I'm very frustrated to hear "but the e.V. should not hire developers"
said so often when that was not proposed.

Can we please discuss how we can best encourage companies and
foundations to grow up within the KDE community? I believe such
companies will support our work if we in turn support them. Our young
developers will be able to look forward to working in Free software
and even to contribute to the KDE codebase and other efforts! If there
are other ways we can grow our community and the surrounding ecosystem
we should discuss them as well. If we remain a project entirely
supported by volunteers, we can't grow large enough to make an impact.
I would like our work -- both volunteer and paid -- to make an impact
and actually change the world for the better.

This seems to be a controversial topic although I do not understand
why. This seems crucial to me, so please let's hash it out.

We need help to improve the usability of KDE's software and making it
more accessible and user-friendly for a wider variety of users.

We need help to offer users a complete software environment that helps
them to protect their privacy.

We need help to treamline the access for contributors, to improve our
documentation, and so much else.

We need to grow!

Valorie

--