List:       kde-windows
Subject:    Re: Splitting Craft, move the recipes to GitHub
From:       Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 () fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2017-08-23 15:42:34

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017, at 03:33 PM, Hannah von Reth wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hey,

> We have been thinking about splitting the Craft recipes into a separate
> repository for some time now.
> To have a Craft core and the recipes separated would enable us to
> provide more stable user experience. It would allow us to use the latest
> recipes with the stable core.

I think that is an excellent idea =) It would allow people like me to
maintain a stable
set of buildscripts while being able to use the latest of the buildtool
itself.

> At the same time Craft tries to get rid of the image as the KDE Windows
> build tool.
>
> Craft offers recipes for many libraries and non KDE applications.
> Additionally Craft offers support for Mac, Linux and FreeBSD.

Neat!

> In order to reach more people we intend to move the recipes to GitHub to
> enable non KDE contributors to add their recipes.
> Craft would continue to be a KDE Project on the KDE infrastructure, only
> the recipes would move.

Enough has probably been said about that.
Maintaining the KDE buildscript on KDE infrastructure makes a ton of
sense to me. Having a separate repository on github for more github
focused projects also makes a lot of sense to me (the alternative being
to have a read/write mirror).

I think having to deal with multiple repositories will introduce some
additional complexity as you might need to allow dependencies between
them, but I also think it would be a very valuable feature.

Anyways, I'd just put the KDE buildscripts on the KDE infra, create a
github mirror for now, and then in the long run work on repository
dependencies so it's not necessary to duplicate buildscripts in all
repositories.

Cheers,
Christian