List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Privacy Software
From:       "Dr.-Ing. Christoph Cullmann" <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2017-08-21 22:15:37

Hi,

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 21:58:32 +0200
> Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@kde.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2017 M08 18, Fri 18:14:22 CEST Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>> > "In 5 years, KDE software enables and promotes privacy"
>>
>>  ... does that kind of imply that we need to offer a range of
>> applications which cover the most privacy-sensitive topics, e.g. a
>> competetive web browser ?
>
> On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, our goal should be realistic,
> and I don't think "offering our own competitive web browser" ticks that
> box. We've been there, we've done that, we succeeded to some degree in
> the most spectacular way (think where KHTML successors are shipped and
> what they brought to the eco system) and failed in other dimensions
> (think about the state of KHTML and our own web browser offering
> nowadays).
>
> What's probably a lot more realistic and worthwhile is
> to we make integration for web browsers that do respect privacy work
> really well. Integrating Tor really well would also be a good idea in
> that regard.
Actually, we are ATM trying to incubate a new "browser" as replacement for
the old Konqueror that is more or less unmaintained and will then vanish.

(was discussed during the konqueror BoF at Akademy this year)

It is QWebEngine based, see

http://blog.qupzilla.com/2017/08/qupzilla-is-moving-under-kde-and.html
https://community.kde.org/Incubator/Projects/QupZilla

But this process is only at its early stage.

Greetings
Christoph

--
AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: cullmann@AbsInt.com