List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Conservative proposal: let's work with Kiwi IRC
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2017-08-17 1:21:38

On August 16, 2017 6:58:35 PM GMT+09:00, Ilmari Lauhakangas \
<ilmari.lauhakangas@libreoffice.org> wrote:
> I want to note that I was intrigued by Eike's mail about a possible Qt
> Quick -based Konversation reboot. I suggested I could try and gather
> funding to get it to a releasable state, but he was hesitant because of
>
> the usual issues with FOSS funding (who does the money go to exactly,
> how to agree on goals etc.). It would be great to have a desktop client
>
> with a GUI that stands out from the crowd. I proposed funding because I
>
> have a lot of experience in promoting FOSS crowdfunding campaigns,
> including Blender and Krita.

I need to expand on this, because I am now getting approached this morning outside of \
this thread with comments along the lines of "it's strange you are anti-funding when \
you are employed to work on FOSS?", which is a little uncomfortable and a \
misunderstanding that needs clearing up. :)

I was approached about this in the following manner, without any prior relationship, \
personal introduction or context, just:

2017-08-12.log:[10:25:49] <buovjaga> Sho_: would something like 5000 euros be enough \
to get Konvi NG to a runnable, presentable state?

I work a full-time job (which does not include Konvi) and have other responsibilities \
(e.g. serving on the KDE e.V. board), and similar things are true for the other \
active Konversation developers, so even though I honestly didn't really know what to \
make of this due to the manner it was submitted (casually in #kde and without any \
more details), I responded with a line expressing that it might be difficult to agree \
on requirements, timeline, involved developers and funds distribution. That wasn't \
because I have an anti-funding stance - it was purely to gauge how much thought they \
had given to their proposal and what those thoughts were. It was meant as the \
beginning of a conversation, not a conclusion.

It's not just time commitments - the exact nature of what Konvi-NG might be would be \
down to decisions made both by the Konvi team and the wider KDE community's (who we \
strive to support as one of our key user audiences). For example if the KDE community \
decides to use a chat service other than IRC in the future, I see us trying to \
support that service. Funding that comes with a requirement to go into a particular \
direction when the community's direction-setting is currently in process could then \
be problematic.

I have no general issue with sponsored development of (if planned and executed well). \
While I'm not sure how realistic it is for Konversation in the current situation, I'm \
certainly open to talking more, and I'm sure others in the project community are too.

Cheers,
Eike